Friday, May 25, 2012

My Spa Life. Fodder for Blogging.

Upon relaying this story to my dear Jodi, she said, you must write about this. It is hilarious. Begin at the very beginning. I used to babysit Jodi when she was 9 and I was 15. Yes, we go back a LONG way!!!!

My generous Monday night Bible study group gave me a gift card to a local spa to spend how I wanted. My dear sweet Rebecca, known as Becca to most, (I love her full name and she gave me permission to call her that) pulled it together, including the instructions for spa days, and all the other services provided. I had been to this place before, due to another gift card at a different time from this same group. I was pumped! I was psyched!!! I was getting a break!!!! I was going to become a new woman in a scant hour!! Do you get the level of expectation I heaped on one gift card???

The day arrived for my trip to the spa. I was going to pick multiple services, on multiple days, I didn't want to use it up all at once. I decided the first thing I was going to take care of was my hair. I basically have worn it back for years. Ever since the lice scare at the schools I have worked at, and getting lice myself at one point, really discouraged me from the "wear your hair down" look. Up with hairspray, and you are pretty much free from getting lice. What does lice and a spa day have to do with each other? Hopefully nothing. But, I wanted a bit of a different look. 2 or 3 inches cut off, maybe, a bit of a bang, who knows. And the brochure said $27.  A bit pricey for me, but, my lovely ladies were treating me, so away I went.

I arrive, dear sweet Rebecca greats me, I get a coffee provided by the spa. I am given a tour, oh how special! It is a GORGEOUS place. And then I meet my "stylist". ohhhhhh. We proceed into the hair cutting room, and I have a seat. Problem #1 occurs. I am looking at my self. In a FULL LENGTH MIRROR. How many of us give ourselves more than a glance in a full length mirror? If you're not 14, and you spend hours a day in front of a FULL LENGTH MIRROR, you either work for a modelling agency or you really do LOVE yourself. Good For You. What's going through my head at this point, what about all that "self love" Julie? What about all that "I love me" you dish out? What about all that talk about exercising and not caring what you look like? CRAP CRAP CRAP when you are trapped in a small chair that you fill up, in a sitting position, and somehow now you look like you have developed double chins everywhere! Where is the cape??? Don't I get a cape. Oh phew, here comes the cape. It does not cover enough. I can still see my feet and my woefully peeling toenail polish. I am in a spa for goodness sakes and I didn't paint my toes first before getting my hair cut? I mean, I didn't even get a SHOWER today. I slathered on the powder and changed my shirt moments before arrival.

My stylist looked absolutely adorable. But, I can barely hear what she is saying to me. I keep asking her to repeat herself. I feel like my father who has hearing aides. She asks me if I cut my own bangs. I know I have done something very very very wrong. I Sorry, I Bad. I have No money for $27 haircuts, but I don't say that. I simply state I had a moment and just couldn't wait. My Bad. I won't do it again, I promise. I'll do what I can, but this will take 2 haircuts, please come back in 8 weeks and we will have a look at it. I tell her I enjoy camping, and I do wear my hair up, but occasionally I would like something cute. I ask about the 2 to 3 inches off, she feels it would be too drastic and she doesn't really know me well enough to know if that is what I mean or would like it. We talk through out the hair cut, I quit asking for her to repeat herself, as now I am really wondering if I have a hearing problem. I get to sit under a dryer with big rollers. She wants me to look like a movie star. WOW. Who could I be??? Kirstie Alley maybe? She's the only plus sizer I know out there. I sit, looking at the only magazine available, SHAPE. Sigh. First with the full length mirror, now this??? My abbs disappeared forever with my last 9lb 2oz gift from God. Where is the Better Home and Garden Magazine? I mean really. I did get a free bottle of water, warm as it was. Ice would be nice. But what she said as she pulled out the rollers was priceless. Well, this didn't turn out as I had hoped. Your hair really is super fine and did not hold a curl. Yes, I really do have fine hair. I also got my eyebrows waxed. Usually the girl at my other place gives me a mirror to look, she did not, and a wax here costs $12.

I proceed out to check out. Hope I see you again she says. She then writes on a slip how much the hair cut was. $38! I asked Rebecca, I thought they were $27? What can you do, really, I am thinking. You have to pay, but now, before tip, I felt as if I had squandered $50 precious dollars those dear sweet girls had gathered for me. Sacrificed. I wanted to be a good steward of the gift. I was sooooo grateful for their thoughtfulness and gesture. My value of every dollar has so increased since returning home to be with my son. And when someone(s) does something nice for me, I am appreciative.

I made an appointment for a pedicure. A full spa pedicure. It is the full monty of pedicures. Maybe fodder for another post? Who knows. Women are funny creatures. We give life spice and excitement. 

My husband picked me up. He just looked at me. I mentioned I had my eye brows done. Why, you know I love your eye brows. His big concern is hair length. He HATES short hair. Hates It. It may be the thing he hates the most, other than cleaning something that involves a spray, or getting slimey or wet. I tried explaining myself to him, he doesn't get it. I sound like Charlie Brown's teacher to him. Where is my Val Val when I need her??? Of course, she could not be reached. In the A.M. Elizabeth was trying to figure out what I actually had done. I shared about the mirror experience. MOM, you have a self esteem problem. That is a real problem, that is sad, so sad that you are dwelling on that. Yes, Yes, I know dear. Inside I am praying. Thank you Jesus for the 7a.m. bus. This conversation will all be over soon. Thank you God for school. Have a great day, dear.

I don't mean to sound ungrateful. I am soooooo thankful for this gift card. My LIFE is continual fodder for blogging. I just had to share!

Lots and Lots of Smiles,
Laughing All The Way,
Julie







2 comments:

Louise Cunningham said...

You are priceless in God's eyes, Your family's, and everyone else that knows you... Don't fret over the little things, as God has really blessed you in so many ways, it just radiates from you! Love ya!

Unknown said...

God Bless you, Louise! You are a dear lady. I am so glad to know you as well. Prayers for you and your family!
Love, Julie