And Valentine's Day. And Anniversaries. And Birthdays.
Bah Humbug. No More Easter Bunny silliness.
I have you all wondering. What has gotten her goat? What is her problem?
Just a little food for thought. You are welcome to read and disagree. I have no problem with that, I am over 40 after all. (My friend just posted something about women over 40, and one of characteristics is we know the truth and don't care if you agree with us or not.) Its okay, you are still my friend.
I had a very wise mentor friend say to me once, Christmas is every day for me, as is Easter. I remember thinking, OOOKAAAAY. I guess you aren't into the materialism and all. He went on to explain his reasoning, and I listened politely, not really getting it, but sort of getting it because I respect this man profoundly.
And then I got it.
This mothers day, this past Sunday. I got what he was saying to me all those years ago.
My day started full of unsaid expectations, because, after all, It Was Mothers Day. And, being the selfless fool that I am, I said to my husband, if nothing is done for me tomorrow, you are all DEAD MEAT. Yup, winning the Mother of the Year award for that statement. He proceeded to take the teenagers shopping while I took a very long nap as life just exhausts me at times and calls for a nap.
Did I awaken the next morning to a symphony playing on our sound system? Coffee in bed? Warm buns baking in the oven? Bacon and eggs warming on the stove with nicely cut up fruit awaiting me on china? Rosebuds encircling my bed? Flowers of ANY KIND greeting me?
All a BIG NO.
I began to grow sadder by the moment. I began to go through my list of all the wonderful things I do for my family. I began to feel used, abused, neglected. Please tell me I am NOT the only woman who has a brain who works like this? And then I went to church, they had some lovely photographer that was taking family shots, and I am like No Way. I am not standing in some line to wrangle all these people.(It was a thoughtful idea, I was just in no mood.)
We get home, and before we get out of the van, Carl stops everyone from getting out, and he starts talking.
"First of all, I want to thank you for being the Rock in this family. Your love, caring, guidance, spiritual direction, continual prayers and heart for God is what keeps us all moving in the right direction. Girls, thank you so much for being great kids. Yes, you give your mother some attitude, etc, but when I was your age I was an absolutely horrible teenager, I was mean, nasty, did stuff I am not proud of, things I will never tell you about, and that is not who I am now, I am different, and I credit that to God and your Mom. Little Daniel, you are a gift to all of us, we are blessed".
I began to cry. And this is why I want to boycott all those "silly" holidays.
Those words can be uttered on any day of the year, at any moment of the day. Anytime. My husband is very good at affirming me, and he knows when I am down and need it. It changed my mood in an instant. They were life giving words. At that moment, I did not care if I had been given a breakfast or gifts. Those words were my gifts. The love that was in those words were the gifts.
We can do that anytime.
We don't need a holiday to tell us to do that. Or do we? Have we become lazy praisers? Do we think that one day of gifts can fix a whole year of neglect and defiance? What if we lived every day like it was fathers day, or mothers day, or childrens day? What if we simply honored others when given the opportunity?
So, I have decided. I am going to take Mom out regularly just because I love her.
I will buy things for my children, just because.
I will kiss and hug and make coffee and his favorite steak and onions on many days of the year for my husband, and say, ride that Harley anytime, babe, you work hard.
I will call my Dad more often just to say I love you Dad. I am glad you are part of what made me.
I will send notes when I feel prompted in my heart to do so, or make that phone call so I can hear your voice.
Because, guess what? Every day is a holiday. Every day matters. People in my life that God continually brings to our home, matter. Lucas, at 7a.m.in my kitchen, matters. How about a good morning, and can I get you something to drink? Are you hungry? Can I love on you in some way that will awaken in you your specialness this very moment?
My husband gave me a reminder. I do love those willow angels so much. I have a small collection started. They are special because they have been given to me by people who see certain things in me, and find a angel that represents that characteristic.My husband got me the angel called "Abundance", which means lots of love. greatly overflowing. And, I had my tears. Thank you for the reminder, my dear Carl.
I have an Abundant Life.
Love to you all who read, and know each day is a "Holiday".
Blessed in this Nest,
Julie Robbins.
No comments:
Post a Comment