I was viewing recently the work of notable artists who depict Jesus, the Last Supper, Jesus with children, the infamous piece of Jesus standing at the door, knocking. There is a look in the eyes that I never really paid attention to before. The look runs through most any artist, so my observation is they picked up on the same emotion.
Even in the depiction of Jesus surrounded by children, there's that Look. And children, as recorded in scripture, were Jesus' favorite people. He was quoted as saying, if you harm one of these, you might as well tie a rock around your neck and throw yourself into the sea. He admonished the disciples for telling the children they were annoying and to go away. Jesus told them to go away and leave the children to come to him.
But, that Look.
There's a verse in church all the boys always wanted to learn, and some girls. It was the shortest verse in the Bible.... "Jesus wept." When you weep, its not just a few tears, its all out sorrow, sadness, grief. Jesus wept for us. I'm guessing God still weeps. I'm guessing if someone is crying, they are missing someone. Jesus didn't need stuff, but he loved people. He wouldn't be crying over a bad grade, a beat up car, or a lost job. He was weeping for us. He weeps with us, over our sorrows, like a bad grade, a departed friend, a lost significant other, a deceased loved one. He feels our pain, he shares in our missing.
So much so that there is a promise in Psalm 56:8 that says our tears have been collected in bottles, noticed by the Creator, to be redeemed at the proper time. God cares about what we care about, cares about who we care and pray for, believes the good things we believe for people.
This brings me great appreciation for God. When I noticed in these works of art, a care of the soul, in each of these depictions, along with a longing that I sensed was for our good, I was relieved. I know that look. The look of happy when with children, making cookies, teaching, seeing your adult loves, but still longing for a peace to come for others that you love too. I'm relieved that the entity I choose to pray to cares deeply enough to capture my tears, love without condition, forgives me readily, and checks me with a comment from my sister in law, "Where is your heart, Julie. What's your motive. Your motive is good...no worries."
So, be filled with joy, celebrate the moments, miss those that are missing, and pray, and trust, those tears, every single one, will be redeemed. I love those sorts of promises. I love people, almost more that anything, but, so does the One I trust them with. More, much more, than I do.
Today I am having a grand day making cookies, and missing, and listening to music beautiful music, and doing something I love tons...writing. All in one big Moment of Life.
Lets do this!
Day 9....
I love you.
Blessings, Always. from my Nest to Yours.
Julie Erb Robbins
No comments:
Post a Comment