Monday, November 14, 2011

Scientist or Mess Maker? All in the perspective you hold, GLAD mine has changed!

Just yesterday morning I was sitting in my kitchen with my husband drinking some morning java. I had just scoured the house looking for my pumpkin spice creamer. I had splurged on this creamer because it is oh so yummy in my coffee, and it called to me from the grocery shelf. I looked all through the refrigerator to no avail. I said to Carl, where oh where is my pumpkin spice creamer. I don't want much in this life, just my pumpkin spice creamer. I don't know what to tell you dear. Sigh. Maybe Daniel put it in the trash. Ever since he figured out how to open the trash can, he does like to be helpful, and when given the simple instruction "Can you throw that in the trash" he will do it. However, he has also been enjoying throwing other things in the trash, and of course, I had emptied the trash last night. I did pause for a minute, thinking, oh, I so want that creamer, it is sealed in that container after all, should I paw through the trash? No, I did not paw through the trash.
While lamenting my lack of creamer, I glanced into the dining room. What did I see? My little man had figured out how to pull the chair just enough away from the table to climb up onto the table, and was intently looking at something. I said, Carl, shhhhh, look at him. So we proceeded to watch Daniel. He very carefully picked up the salt shaker, tipped it upside down, and watched the salt pouring out of the salt shaker. After a sufficient amount of salt came out, he proceeded to the pepper shaker, only to realize this did not come out as quick, and lost interest. He did not bang the shakers down, even the one he could get barely anything out of. He then decided to push the salt around, then of course, came the tasting, which, is somewhat gross, if you have every tried to even gargle salt for a sour throat, YUCK!
At this point Carl and I were smiling like hyenas from the Lion King. Our boy is brilliant. We were talking about his ability to transfer information, and apply it to himself.  We even started to laugh and cackle at the fact that Daniel came up with these ideas on his own. We finally got up, went into the dining room and began to congratulate him on his stellar experiment with the salt. What a great climber he was, and boy, did that salt look like Popham Beach sand or what? I got him his milk cup, and said, drink this. He did, but he also thought it was a good idea to bend the end of his sippy cup and mix it with the salt on the table. The mixing of two compounds is for sure higher order thinking, oh yes, we were so very proud.
I did chuckle at us.
We didn't even consider caring about the mess.
We didn't consider it to be a mess.
We weren't worried for his safety as he climbed, knowing the floor isn't that far away. And did you know kids can fall 3X their height and won't get hurt. I was told that by an ER nurse. Another story.
For a split second I did think, oh, my favorite blueberry ware shakers, but that drifted in and out of my mind so very quickly as I saw the adventure and curiosity in his eyes as he watched that stream of salt flowing onto the table.
I did quickly formulate a lesson to show him a comparison/contrast between salt and sand at a later date.
Oh, how fun are my Sunday mornings when I can look at life through a 16 month olds eyes, and choose to be amazed along with him!
Thank goodness I love even the messy, I mean, scientific, teachable moments!
Happy Learning to all the parents out there!
Love,
Julie




1 comment:

Legume said...

I heart this! What a wonderful perspective!