Many years ago after a grueling Mothers Day of preparation I decided, Enough was Enough. This is Mothers Day! Why am I slaving away, cooking, cleaning my house like a nut, shopping for the "perfect" Mothers Day gift. I was exhausted on the Morning Of Mothers Day. My daughters, at the time, were 2 and a 1/2 and 9 mos. old. I am the host in my family. They all like my entertaining qualities. Well, let me tell you, I was NOT feeling entertaining as I left that morning to go to church for My Day. When I look at the pictures from that day, I think, I know why you decided you were not spending another Mothers Day like that.
So,
What did I do?
The following year I invited my Mom and my sister out for lunch. I said, I am going, I would like you to come with me. I will treat. They did not know what to think about it. I was firm. I am going, alone, or you all can come with me. What, what about the girls? What about them? Every day in my house is Children's Day. Yes, they are what made me a Mother, but, I need to rest. This is my official, legislated by law, Day of Recognition & Rest. Part of resting for me is sitting and being waited on with food that is, uh hum, edible. No dishes, no preparing, no questions on how it is done, Just Sitting.
Okay, they went along with it.
My sister has since defected. She prefers to be a martyr. And I tell her that. She politely now tells me "no thank you" when I invite her to my day of Rest. She is choosing the coast this year. A nice drive to the coast. Sucker. You would not catch me in a car with 2 small children, one of which will scream the entire ride, on Mothers Day, my day of Rest. Enjoy little sister, enjoy. I will think of you as I am dining in peace and quiet.
The other night I had the opportunity to go to my friend Valerie's house for dinner. It was a be-lated birthday dinner, with only Valerie and myself in attendance. We dined on her wonderfully cooked steak, wilted salad, lima beans, and sweet potato. We then proceeded to her mothers place, where Eva had made me my favorite cookies, just that afternoon, just for me. It was simply divine. I sat, I talked, I ate, (good food), and was completely relaxed. I came home, Daniel was asleep, Carl and I watched a movie, it was divine.
Anyone who reads my blog, my posts, or even knows me at all, knows how much I love my kids. I take every chance I can to share that. I do not consciously plot to get away from them, but
on my day of Rest, Mothers Day, I DO.
If you have never tried it, I suggest you do.
Mom and I are going to try out Spectacular Events Center this year. They have a lovely brunch, for the price of $18. I treat her, that's her Mothers Day gift from me, and the time together to talk is lovely. We get dressed up, do a little extra to look pretty, she takes pictures, its quite nice.
Time is fleeting. Everything is not about death, but when your parents get older, you begin to think differently about your time with them. Who knows how many more Mothers days I will have with Mom. I pray many more, as I pray I will be around for my kids for a very long time.
I do enjoy my morning breakfast prepared by my kiddos. It has gotten increasingly better as the years have gone on. Carl knows how to make really good coffee now, so that's covered. The kind words in the cards they give me are a blessing as well.
And,
I am glad for my Day Of Rest called Mothers Day. My special day.
We even get gifts in church, it is very nice. One year, my favorite year of gifts, we got body wash, spray, and body butter from Mary Kay. Now, THAT WAS AWESOME!
Happy Mothers Day to all the Mothers and Kids out there.
Husbands, just because she's not your mother, doesn't mean you don't have to acknowledge the bearer of your offspring. Don't forget her!!! Carl has always made me feel special on Mothers Day. Thank you hubby.
Love, Julie
No comments:
Post a Comment