When I first thought about writing this post, I was going to entitled it "What I DON'T miss", and would periodically point out to anyone within earshot of said behaviors. For instance, I might come upon piles upon piles upon piles upon piles (you get the picture, right?) of clothes spattered about a floor like a never ending dumped can of paint, with no understanding about where to begin to clean up the mess. I would then shout, I WILL NOT MISS THIS. Or, clothes that have been peed in. Lots of pee, pee flowing into the next room because you live in an old house that is tipped. No, the toilet has not overflowed, someone simply was too tired to make it point into the toilet, and it flowed everywhere. I WILL NOT MISS THIS, I would shout from the roof tops.
Instead, I thought more people would like to read my humorous accounts of what I LOVE about having grown children. So you all that are still in that nursing non stop, poopy diaper changing, running down your leg bc they are sick, throwing food on the floor, and dammit you don't have dog yet and have to clean it up, phase can get some laughs and encouragement.
WHAT I LOVE
1. They tell you they love you, and mean it. For real. Nothing better than getting a text from one of my kids saying how much they appreciate and love me and can't believe how I have done all I have done for all these years.
2. They brush their own teeth and shower. If you don't have kids and you are reading this you have NO IDEA what a blessing this is. AND wait for it, when they get a significant other, they will do whatever it takes to smell good. My house is in a constant state of musky male and floral. oh, its glorious.
3. They drive. or they have a boyfriend who drives, and when this sweet lover arrives, he will take her anywhere. at 5:30 a.m. to a see a sunset, or a debate meet, or a track meet. Good Lord, moms, LET THEM GO> stop worrying about accidents, and say, Thank You Jesus, one less thing for me to do!!
4. They grocery shop for you! Its a beautiful thing. You give them a list, your debit card, and off they go. They may call you a couple of times saying, "Are you sure this is IN the grocery store?" to which you reply, absolutely darling, its in the pasta isle.... and hang up. ahhhh glory of glories.
5. I LOVE who they bring home. I love love love my son in law. He is the Best. I love him. Did I say I love him? He's wonderful. He's kind. He's a hard worker. He's cooks breakfast for my daughter. She's happy. End of story. Beginning of Story. I can't wait for the next gal's story. I can't wait for the next phase of Kristen&Lucas. But the here and now for both girls is pretty awesome. Seeing your kids happy, eyes shining, being loved on, NOTHING LIKE IT. Makes my heart smile every single day.
6. They get a job and pay for stuff. And then all of the sudden they start saving money, and cannot believe how much stuff costs, and how the heck have you and dad done all you have done for us and the light dawns upon their beautiful faces. When you buy them something without them asking for it, and they respond, how much did you spend? I don't want you to spend too much, Mom. really. but THANK YOU!!!
7. They eat dinner with you. They sit, converse, say thank you, this is awesome, tell you about their life, kind of "eat with you". No getting up from the table, running around the table, chasing the dog, running around the table. They Sit And Eat With You. And Talk. Human, understandable Talk. They share their life with you. They tell you about what they love, who they love, why they love. They talk about whats important to them and why. They tell you about their dreams, like having a library and an king sized bed, or living in a cabin in the woods, becoming a forest ranger or a nurse. They join you in prayer before you eat. You don't have to ask them to be quiet to do this, or sit down, they join you, all bowing their heads together. Sunday Dinner at 1p.m. is Sacred to me. Completely SACRED.
So, parents, instead of lamenting what you might be loosing as they grow up. I am here to tell you its a GLORIOUS time to be embraced. I spent my time lamenting, but I am here to tell you. Don't bother. Grown Up Kids are the BEST.
Love ALL my kids,
the ones I birthed,
the ones God brings me through relationships,
and those that will grace my life when I become Gram.
Love to you All
from our Nest to Your.
Happy Saturday.
xo, Julie
2 comments:
This makes me happy :)
I am SO glad!!! :) xoxo to you sweet girl.
Post a Comment