There are several things that happen on a regular basis in our home on Easter.
And until now I had no idea that Easter was a pagan word.
Or Christmas.
I'm almost sure the only holy day left is the 4th of July. But I am so sure it will be desecrated at some point and the banning of fireworks will commence.
But, for me, its called Easter.
And it includes nylons.
As a child it was a big deal, this Easter event. I remember getting up in the morning and being excited about seeing my Easter basket. Somehow my mother always turned everything into Jesus, so having an Easter basket was part of Jesus. So it was legal, all that chocolate, treats, and peeps, was about Jesus somehow...Legally Easter.
As an adult, then becoming a parent, we have always had Easter baskets and got the girls dressed up in those cute dresses and of course, we all wore nylons. And I mean real nylons, the kind you pay far too much money for that rip 2 seconds into ANY event you choose to wear them to. oops, there goes the grocery budget, the girls just all got nylons.
Yesterday morning as I was getting ready, realizing I had only put a dress on a couple of times since last July when my eldest got married, I began wondering about all these traditions I had accumulated over the many years of marriage & parenting.
Some keepers I have decided upon.
My family. I love to spend time with my family. And I love spiral ham. So its a win/win.
Church. I happen to love my church. A quote that was shared that was meant to be funny by a comedian said that going to church on Easter only is like flossing 10 minutes before a dental appointment, neither do much good. At first I laughed, but then I began to think on this. If this holiday, along with Christmas, is the only time you go, well, GO. I have no idea what God may have for someone 1 or 2 times a year in church, just GO. Enjoy. Talk to people you don't normally see. I got a hug yesterday from a friend who sought me out. I sat in a row with my kids and husband. I had people sitting behind me that I talked to that I hadn't seen in years, and they had a better memory of the last time we spoke than I had. (getting too forgetful). I heard a great sermon, par usual of my pastor, but it was great, none the less. Just GO. So what if its only a couple times a year.
Chocolate of copious amounts, only to be banned the very next day.
Pictures of the day. My favorite this year? The one I chose as my cover photo on facebook.
The rest? all negotiable.
I love those that God continues to bring into our home, and I think this could have been considered one of our best Easters yet. and yes, I will continue to call it Easter, because well, that's what it was always called when I was growing up.
And, I am sure you all want to know, I am loosing the nylons. LOOSING. GONE. :)
Happy Spring.
Love, from our nest to yours.
Julie

No comments:
Post a Comment