Monday, July 6, 2015

My Son

As I looked over at my son Daniel while sitting in church on Sunday just carefully holding his little piece of communion wafer that he was sharing with Daddy, I became teary eyed.  Now, that is not uncommon for me right now.  I said to a friend recently, I don't know if I am beginning to be so conscious of the Universe, of those around me, or just choosing to be tuned into the moments in front of me.... all of the above, I am sure.

I thought,
this is the most innocent he will ever be.
this is the least conflicted he will ever be.
he has not had to make one difficult decision yet, in his life.
he has not been critiqued by his peers.
he has only known love, affection, and understanding from his immediate family.
He has not been sick.
nary a broken bone, yet!
he cuddles up to either Carl or I when he wants to fall asleep.
he eats ice cream.
he "plays" with the dog.
he calls his mumma a beautiful rose, and tells her regularly he is in fact in love with her, and will marry her some day, and if he does not marry his mumma, he will not ever love anyone more than his mumma....
he is waiting patiently to eat that little bit of communion wafer, knowing its something special.

And then I think of a scripture that tells us to become like children because children are Jesus favorite.

How do I
in my adult life,
full of foibles
become
like
an
innocent, trusting, believing
child?

I have done too much,
seen too much,
been disappointed far too much,
cried to much over the wrong things.

But thats what God says, to understand Him, I must become like my son.

innocent
accepted
peaceful
well loved.

Thats a tall order, God. But, you know what? You gave me this son. He reminds me every day of you.
He reminds me what is truly important. His smile shines up a room.  That love of his mumma, that's a reminder of how much you love me, even on my worst days, Daniel loves me, and so does God.

So, Thank you God, for reminding me of you. On Sunday. At church. With a boy and his special small piece of communion wafer.

Hugs to all tonight
Love from this Mom

Julie  xoxo

No comments: