Saturday, November 7, 2015

The Best Things About....

Carl and I had the chance to attend a performance last night at the Collins Center for the Arts in Orono to see one of our all time favorite comedians, Steven Wright. He's a dry humorist, you must listen closely at times to what he says, and he's got THIS VOICE...its the Steven Wright voice, his signature. And he's a riot, and he's slightly inappropriate, and that just makes him all the more funny.

When I met my husband I was 18. Somewhat naive, but not stupidly so. Innocent in a way, but not new to the rodeo of dating. I was a flirt, he was charming. We danced until 1a.m., and he tells me, after he questioned me as to what I was doing and I said I was going to be an Education Major in the fall, he was basically sold on Julie Erb. He said he always wanted to marry a teacher because he was going to be a math teacher and he wanted our time to be spent together, and when he had kids, he wanted to spend time with them and his wife as a family. Yup, that party frat boy knew what he wanted his life to look like when he grew up. And, he says, I was gorgeous and funny, and well, that about sealed the deal for him that night.

As we walked across that very same campus last night that we both attended together all our academic lives I had this bubble of happiness well up in me. There really is nothing I have not shared with this man. We even recreated a Prom experience when he was student teaching where we dressed up and chaperoned a Brewer Prom so that we could say we had the best prom night ever... and it was so much fun. We went to class together, shared a car together, lived on campus together for a year, (LONG ENOUGH), we worked in the same mall together, we studied the same field of work together, shared the same philosophies on educating children together. He will tell you I had a much better study/work ethic than he did. He procrastinated, and I plugged away every single day, but we both graduated. We married, we lived together, we spent hours on Sunday afternoons chilling out together after our one good meal a week at my mothers house happened. Those Sunday afternoons cured what ailed us after a long week of school and work.

I  love our story. I love that we traveled together. We drove everywhere we wanted to go. Before children, we always went to Boston for First Night on New Years Eve. We always went away every single year for our anniversary to the White Mountains, then to Canada on a whim to stay at different bed&breakfasts, visiting all sorts of cool places.  I was 40 before we made our first trip to Florida as a family. I remember thinking, and saying, Thank You so much for always making this life possible. We've been to NYC multiple times with the girls, to Williamsburg VA. We love Boston, but DC is my favorite city, Carl's too, all that history. We love it.

Last night made me remember our beginnings. And all the best things about that beginning. All those shared experiences. All those memories.

Thank You Steven Wright for your humor. And returning to a place that Carl and I could go to and experience just a little bit of nostalga.

We have both changed and grown up just a little since that time walking around UMaine campus. But, we are still Carl&Julie. We are still those kids who love each other madly, even though we don't have the same amount of time we used to get to spend together. I mean, we were basically inseparable. That time grew our roots. Those early years, all that time together, at young ages, created a bond that could not be broken, for any reason. I'm so grateful now for that time together. And, I would have loved it to have started sooner...

Remember the good times today, and Create more good times in the now.
I know I plan to.

Much Love from our nest to yours.

Sincerely,

Julie Robbins

No comments: