There's a well known phrase in the faith community that says "Live for an Audience of One".
I've always wondered about that idea. Living for One. I've never been able to embrace the concept of the singular audience living, and I will tell you why.
I care.
My life is not about me.
I know the precepts of the concept. Love God. Focus on pleasing God. Numero Uno God. One and Only.
I can't do it.
I can't be Mono focused on One Entity.
It actually sounds selfish to me. Like, the ultimate cop out.
Do we even know what God wants? Do we really care for five minutes? Do we care that in our effort as a faith community to "Live for an Audience of One", we have shut out so many groups or individuals that are hurting because we think we have the singular answer to everything and everyone?
Not feeling it...at all.
How about we start living for others? How about we start CARING about others? What would it look like if you LOVED others? How about we dig deep into our souls and start thinking about someone other than ourselves? What if we thought for one minute about how we could potentially be harming another person while we are doing this big "Living for an Audience of One" stuff. Would you change your behavior if you thought you were hurting someone? I have. I've also done the hard stuff of apologizing. What about all the love stuff? What about it? If "Living for your audience of One" is hurting someone I think its time to revisit this mindset.
I will never live for an audience of one. Because I am seriously confused by those who claim to do this and treat others like absolute shit. They send crazy ass messages telling others what is "sinful". They ignore. They point fingers and judge. They cut off contact. They abandon when someone doesn't do or say what they want them to do or say. I'm officially not living like that...EVER.
I can not.
I will embrace all. I will accept all. I will forgive all. And, I will not worry about the day I die or where I will end up. I will never live for only one entity. I've seen what living for yourself and your whims and what you actually think you are doing "for God" feels like. No thanks.
Do I love God? to the best of my limited understanding of God, yes. Do I pray? Every single day. Do I find peace in places, people, moments, experiences, nature, life? Yes. Do I believe in seeking and believing for the greater good to happen? Yes. Will I shut anyone out of my life who does not think the way I do? NEVER. Never. NEVER.
I am living to love others. I am living to be a comfort to others. I am living to sacrifice for others. I am living to serve others.
I simply hope God is pleased with that.
I love you. Life is simple when we allow it to be.
Julie Erb Robbins
No comments:
Post a Comment