I asked my dear friend at one point, were the walls blue in here? With stripes, on the wall paper?
Can I see your room? I don't think I ever saw your room.
I remember sitting around this table, in this room, with these people.
I walked into the home today that brought me so much laughter, so much joy, so much peace and I simply drank it all in.
When people say "It was for the best." I disagree. I think what we do with what happens in life is make the best out of it. The things that hurt. The loss. The departure.
Honor requires making the best out of what happens. Honoring someone else, putting someone else's needs before our own, doing what is right, but not always what is wanted, requires honor. Being by the side of someone while they suffer requires honor that comes from within. Holding and hugging and understanding requires a desire to honor someone else above anything else.
I hope my presence let the family know how much I love them. I hope my presence lets them know how I have admired them all. I hope they felt how honored I felt to be included yet again. There was no where else I wanted to be this weekend. I wanted to be with these people, honoring this very special lady who led a life well lived.
As I listened to one of her sons speak, I thought, I'm like her. I open my home. I serve others. I love so deeply. But, the thing I am going to work on that this dear woman seems to have mastered is giving with no thoughts of return. She just gave to give. Not expecting anything back. Just loving not expecting to be loved back, but ohhhhh was this dear woman loved back. The room was full to overflowing of people who loved her back. She loved her family. I thought it was beautiful how her son shared his eulogy in the form of a thank you....Thank you for loving us, Mom. Thank you for providing all of us with a home free from alcohol or drug addiction. Thank you for providing a home for us free of emotional or physical abuse. Thank you for providing us the legacy of 56 years of marriage, not many can say this anymore. Thank you for providing a home full of love. He went on to talk about how rare this is. A thank you to his Mom to honor her for all her hard work, for her, because she honored her calling. She also worked at a food bank in town for years. Several people stood and talked about how she impacted their lives. I was honored to hear.
A life well lived. Not a life focused on things. But others. Loving others well.
I felt that every time I went into their home.
As I age I realize that is truly what life is about.
Loving others, spending time serving others, being with others. Giving and Honoring others.
I was blessed to be a part. My love runs deep. I was reminded about how much today.
This passing may not feel as if it were for the best, but The Absolute Best was experienced and shown today.
I love you.
Always. All Ways.
I am blessed to know this family.
I am honored to honor.
Julie Erb Robbins
No comments:
Post a Comment