Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Mad Love doesn't have to END! Oh YEAh! To all the Mad Lovers out there!

Apparently this is Love Your Husband Week.
Wow. They only get one week, huh? Maybe that's why so many of them are "squirrelly", as I have heard one reference to men who are married and not able to "partake" of the fruit, if you know what I mean.bahahaha.

I was dreaming about my husband last night and I was blogging in my dream. I was dreaming about how we met. I have begun thinking more and more about our dating relationship because my oldest daughter has a boyfriend. Whom we love very much btws.

My husband and I met almost 25 years ago, precisely 25 years ago this March 7, 2012. On March 7th, 1987, I went out for the night with some girlfriends, Renee Clifford, Denise Pope, and Jennifer Rancourt. We went to a club called "2002". Now back in 1987, 2002, seemed light years away, and what would we be at that age? 40? I mean, that is practically dead when you are 18 almost 19. Would we all even make it to the year 2002? I don't know, but all us girls were looking our hottest, hoping to get asked to dance. Oh yeah. I never had to find someone to dance with, I was always being asked.

From across the room a boy spotted me. Not really a boy, he was 21 at the time, and just a wee bit buzzed from his wine coolers he had consumed in the parking lot. The club was a non-alcohol club for 18 to 21 year olds. You couldn't be older than 21 and get in. But, he spotted me there with my really beautiful girlfriends, sitting at a table, and thought, she looks like she would say no to me, so, if she says yes, well then, that would be pure awesomeness. Along came Carl, and oh yeah, I said yes.

I remember how he looked that night. He was wearing Levis & a white cottony dress shirt. I instantly loved his blue eyes, his blond hair, and his skin color. It was a golden brown. He had an awesome smile. So very innocent looking. (bahahahahaha--watch out for those innocent looking ones, they NEVER are!). We immediately had a connection. There was something about Carl, something at the time I was instantaneously drawn to. He had a data bank watch, which he showed me, and proceeded to put my # into his watch. A good sign, I thought, maybe he will call me. He also gave me his political button that said "Boothby/ Robbins: policy, not promises". He and Chris Boothby had run for office on UMaine campus and had won. Carl was vice president of student government and president of the senate at the time. I thought it was very cool. I put that pin in my pocket, really hoping I would see and hear from this guy again.

Well, I did see him again. He came into my work place, Service Merchandise, and asked me out. He says, he remembers the day he walked in there to ask me out. A little nervous, but when he saw me, he thought, could this girl possibly be mine someday? He said he just could not get over how beautiful I was, standing there, saying yes, I will go out with you. His wheels were turning.

We went out. We went to the lamest movie ever. "Manequin". Oh my. We watched this movie recently, or tried to. Talk about lame. LAME, LAME, LAME!!!!! We had to shut it off after 30 minutes. But, true to my nature at the time, I laughed all the way through it. I was always laughing. I found life funny. I was actually labelled by one boyfriends parents as "the giggler". They could hear me through their house laughing, and always wondered, what is she laughing at???

Carl has told me many times that on the night he met me, he KNEW. He KNEW. I was it. It was just a matter of time before he could convince me of it. But what he would come to find out was that I knew it to.

Now, to say there were not turbulent times in our dating would be a lie.

To say there weren't times of "What the bleep are you thinking!!" would be a lie.

I remember a drive I took with Greg Potter once. Greg ended up being the best man in our wedding. I don't even know if he remembers this. But, he came and got me and said, don't break up with Carl. Trust me on this. You are the only person in his life EVER that has loved him unconditionally. You bring out the best in him. I don't know what he will do without you. Just give him another chance. He loves you so much.
I am glad to this day for Greg Potter. He was aptly placed in our wedding as best man.

One of the attributes I believe has sustained our marriage through these crazy times is that Mad Love we have always had for each other. I believe it happened from the very beginning. Now, I know some of you would say, Oh that was LUST, Julie, not Love. Well, a little lust never hurt anyone, and it keeps life a little spicy.

But, I don't think Lust will keep you going for almost 25 years.

Fate, divine intervention, serendipity, Carl has told many I was his angel that night.

Was youth on our side, I think it was.

We have grown up together. We worked out our brat phase together. We learned how to become unselfish, and uncritical. That our opinions do matter, however, if it doesn't bless the hearer, we wait, and pray, and let God take care of it, or we forget about it.

I love my roses for no reason that appear in the kitchen, even when it seems we can't afford diapers.

I love my coffee brewing in the morning before I get downstairs.

I love that we began running together this summer, and plan to start in the spring again, together.

Oh, and do I love riding on the back of his motorcycle. Oh yes, and I thought it was cool way back in 1987.

There is something to be said for young MAD LOVE, and adult Mad Love.

I am hoping for this young Mad, Intoxicating, Unconditional, Relevant, Unselfish,  Love for my daughters and son.

And I am hoping for sustaining, enduring, adult Mad Love for them as well.

I love you Carl Joseph Robbins! May you never be squirrelly!:) and yes, this is a whole lot of PDA on facebook!;)))

XO, Wifey

2 comments:

Carl said...

Awww...checking out the blog before bed. Doesn't that give me a n excuse to be brief? You do want me in bed sooner....;) I remember those mad love days well....and I loved the beauty back then. Now, there's so much more to know and appreciate about Julie Robbins. Thank you for your kind words, and we'll reminisce more on Friday when I wear my engagement sweater for ugly tie friday. Coming to bed now, dear.

Unknown said...

too sweet, Carl! and thanks for responding!
XO Julie