Today is New Years Day. I got up with the boy around 7ish a.m. I was actually quite surprised it was that late. He is an early riser, and now, due to some awesome coffee purchased for me(us) as a Christmas gift, I am embracing the early risings.
We did our usual. I played with Daniel in the back room for a bit, tossing a baseball. He got creative and added a pillow for me to use as a target, and we were having fun. I then decided it was time for me to brush my teeth, then get my coffee. He decided he wanted an apple, peel and all. I said, sure. He proceeded to take a couple of bites, only to realize the peeling was still on the apple, wanted to spit it all out, then throw away the apple. I said, oh no, we aren't throwing the apple away, I am going to use it in an apple cake if you don't want it, and I took it from him and began cutting up the apple. NO CUT UP MY APPLE!!! NO CUT!!!! NONONONONONOONOONONOOOOO. Lots of tear proceeded, NONONONONO. I picked him up, put him in a chair in the other room, said, when you can use your words, we can talk. He got out of the chair, followed me into the kitchen, NONONONONONONO.
He was using his one word that mattered to him at the time, with lots of tears.
I stopped cutting and sat on the floor, eye level. Waiting and Watching his unexplainable distress.
He cried. I watched and waited. Beside Him. Then it stopped, and he flung himself into me, partially laying on the floor, partially laying on me. I hugged him. He then proceeded to curl up in a ball in my lap. I hugged him as tight as I could and we just sat there. No More Tears. No one saying anything.
And I began to ponder with my son in my arms.
Sometimes, we just need to wail and cry till its all over for us.
Sometimes, we just need someone to hold us until its over.
Sometimes, we don't have the words, and words aren't necessary.
Most times lots of patience and time is necessary for the holding.
I let a tear slip from my eye as I realized what my son just taught me.
Don't be in a rush for an answer.
Just hug.
Be Slow and Take Time.
Don't always have an agenda, like coffee and making apple cake isn't all that important when someone needs a hug.
You don't need an answer to love on someone.
Whew, this parenting thing continues to humble and change me, and I am so glad.
Blessed 2013 Everyone!
Julie, always willing to be humbled and learn!
No comments:
Post a Comment