I spent a glorious day yesterday with a new friend and her two children. She mentioned to me she wanted to go to Popham Beach, had never been, and was looking for something to do this past Saturday. I made a post on facebook, she said, "Lets do it.", and away we went with her children, myself, and Daniel. I have always said Popham Beach was my favorite place on earth, introduced to us years ago when the girls were babies, by our dear family friend, Bill Cumming.
I began thinking about my Top 5 Favorite places on earth and Why they are my favorite places.
1. Popham Beach State Park, Phippsburg, Maine. We were introduced to this beautiful ocean in Maine by our dear family friend, Bill Cumming upon his return to the Pine Tree State. I remember our first visit, being in awe of the ocean. I remember Bill telling me its where he came to feel connected to God. At the time, I did not connect to that concept, some 18 years ago, but I do now. I said to my friend Lisa, I feel the most peaceful near water, specifically the ocean. The predictability of it, the sound of it, the feel of it, the smell of the air, the sand on my feet. The calm of Lisa and I sitting in our camp chairs, watching the children play, eating grapes and Nilla wafers. The utter simpleness of that moment. I told her, this is a place I feel God. I don't think I can adequately explain the feeling, but its my place. I think it would be nice and good and right if everyone could find their "place" they connected with God. Popham Beach is one of my places of connectedness to the Creator.
2. The Declaration of Independence. I remember the first time Carl and I went to see The Declaration of Independence at the Capitol in Washington D.C. I believe the girls were ages 7 and 9 years old. We went into the room where it was and there was a hush in the room. A reverence I will never forget. The girls stilled themselves all on their own, I believe realizing the serious nature of what we were able to view. Connecting with the history of our country. Another God moment, really. Afterwards Carl and I shared the same exact feeling. That was a "communion moment". Carl responded, I know, I felt it. Like we are connected to the ages, a sacred document, a sacred experience. Exactly. Absolutely sacred.
3. Camp Wakonda. I am not even sure where this camp is located, but it was my childhood camp and I know it was located in Maine in the boondocks..(If you are not a Mainer, you do not know what "boondocks" are, suffice to say, for Non Mainers..."the middle of nowhere"). I began attending this camp at age 10, and continued all the way up through my teen years. As an adult, and well into our married years, Carl and I worked at this camp, volunteering our time as camp counselors. I looked forward to this camp every single year. My Dad would give me $100 every Christmas, along with a pair of flannel pajamas, and I would save that $100 because I knew camp cost $80 for the week, and I knew my mom could not pay for both of us to go to camp, so I saved that money each year so I could go to camp. This place was key to my emotional, physical, intellectual, and spiritual development, oh and of course, relational developments.... LOL.... ;) who can forget Faith McClesh chasing us out of the bushes at teen camp with that flash light of hers..... get to your cabins, ladies..... I got engaged at this camp. It was a lovely day. Many a lovely memory, many!
4. The Woodward Inn. White Mt. of New Hampshire. Carl and I went here on our honeymoon, and returned to this spot every single anniversary weekend for years. I remember the night we spent after we got married in a Portland, Maine hotel. It was horrid. The bed was a rock, and we had no idea how to operate this very very very cold blowing air conditioner, and I forgot to eat that whole day, and I had no idea why I had such a headache. BUT the minute we got to the Woodward Inn, it was awesome!!!!! The food at the inn was scrumptious, the mountain setting, the room, the pool and hot tub, and of course, Carl was always engaging and funny, and it was wonderful that we got to go away. I would love to go back to that place some day and bring all the children. So many good memories of times spent during our pre-children years. I loved the way we always celebrated that special day of May 20, 1989. First Best Day of My Life. My marriage.
5. My Home. My home over the years has been many places. 818 Ohio Street apt 6 and 34, Littlefield Ave in Hermon, behind Dysarts, the corner of Birch and Howard street in Bangor, Milo, Maine, 15 Third Street, Howland, Maine. And finally..... 168 Leighton Street. The one constant in all these places has been my husband, Carl Robbins. So, I guess, my "home" is where ever he has been, and though we never plan on moving again! (THANK GOD!!). If we ever had to move, as long as he was with me, I would be fine, I would be happy, it would be "home". I love my children and whom they bring into our lives, but they have their own lives, or will, and will have their "homes". I'm glad my home is with Carl. For all our short comings, and disagreements at times, we bring each other a stability and joy no one else can. I love you my dear. xoxoxo, The Wifey. Thank you for always making our houses and apartments "home" with your presence.
Love to you all, and wouldn't it be fun if you could list your top 5?
Blessed in the Nest.
Happy Summer Day.
Julie.
No comments:
Post a Comment