Today was a very special imprompto day. I'm beginning to believe those are the best kinds of days to have. There was a threat of snow, but I still called my Mom and invited her over. I warned her about the impending snow, thinking she would not want to drive over, and she responded
"I'll go where I want to go and I have snow tires. Nothing to worry about..."
Wow. The weather has always been something Mom has worried about incessantly, charting the course of her every movement of every day according to the weather. I was happy she still wanted to come over. Mom said she would be at my house at 10 a.m. and no later. I looked at the clock at 9:45a.m. and realized I probably should get in the shower.....
If I am going to be honest, even if its only occasionally, I have to share pre-shower pics. I mean, come on...I don't wake up glamour girl-ish. LOL.
Mom got here at 9:50 a.m.....and what unfolded was simply lovely.
Daniel and Mom decorated the tree!!! Daniel and I had put the tree up together on Thursday night, the lights got put on last night, and the tree had yet to be decorated with ornaments. I went in the attic and brought boxes down, and they decorated together. This was an awesome moment. A first! I can't honestly remember the last time I decorated a tree with Mom. Maybe when I was 18? Not sure. But she and Daniel had a wonderful time conferring on the best placement.
My sister arrived shortly after that...me still in my pajamas, along with Daniel...
Have I said how much I love this kid??? He cracks me up all the time...
I proceeded to make sugar cookies to decorate....
It was a lovely start to a Saturday.
The old me would have thought I needed to leave and shower. I didn't.
The old me would have thought I should have had the cookies made already. I didn't, but I did make them in front of my sister, and she asked me about my recipe, why I chose shortening over butter, where I bought all the decor for the cookies....we talked, shared, and watched the kids frost. Then it was our turn, but I thought the kids were cuter to share....(still not showered at that point..LOL)
The old me would have beat myself up for not having the ornaments ready for Mom, but she did not care. She was just happy to be there and enjoy Daniel and my beautiful home and all the lights..(her words).
The new-ish me is not as organized, or perfectionistic, or timely with every single little thing.
But I like the new me a little better. She's a chill-er version. She just goes with the flow and without a shower occasionally, so she doesn't miss anything.
Happy Holidays All.
I love you.
Julie K.









No comments:
Post a Comment