I have had some excellent mentors. My first mentor was Charlotte Tripp. She taught first grade at Downeast School in Bangor, Maine. It was January of my senior year in college and all students looking to gain a teaching degree must student teach. My first 8 weeks was with Charlotte. Once I graduated and earned my degree and certification I had the honor of teaching at Downeast School as their Kindergarten Literacy teacher. I love Downeast School. I love the teachers there. It takes a special kind of person to work there because you are working with a great population that experiences life with a bit of challenge that seems to not be common in other schools in Bangor. Poverty does not indicate lack of love, or poor parenting, but it is hard to provide all that a child might need when dealing with poverty on a daily basis. However, the team at Downeast School is dedicated every single day to see that the needs of things like food, clothing, extra love and understanding are part of the day, along with educating this very special group of students.
My first student teaching day was met with a little boy named Michael. Michael came to school with wet hair, no hat, no mittens, no socks, rubber boots, and a fairly adequate coat. He was cold. It was January. He was not alone in his attire that did not match the season. I went home. Sat in my apartment, and worried about these ill clothed children. I wanted to go and buy all of them hats and mittens and coats, but, as a broke college student myself I felt helpless. Each day I encountered needs that had nothing to do with academics. It was the first time in my entire life I was face to face with poverty and what it looked like on the face of a 6 year old in first grade. I began to cry each night as I recounted the needs and feeling helpless as to what to do for these precious little ones that I could not stand the idea that they were cold, or hungry, or dirty, or simply "getting by". I don't believe there was free breakfast back then either, so some would come in hungry for breakfast. Thankfully now there is a breakfast program, so no child is ever in school hungry in the Bangor School System.
Charlotte had her masters degree in Education, and was working on her doctorate at the time. She was a bundle of energy. She also worked at a jewelry store that was across the way from Standard Shoes in the mall. Carl worked in Standard Shoes while we were in college and one day Charlotte ventured across and asked Carl how he thought I was doing. He said, "Well, she does cry each day because she feels so bad for those kids."
The very next day Charlotte Tripp in her wisdom sat me down and said "Julie, I heard you have been crying." Uh oh, I thought, am I in trouble? I was always afraid of getting in trouble...just my personality.
"Well, I want to tell you to stop crying."
Okay.
"Because this is life for these kids. You don't need to feel sorry for them. But you do need to show up every single day and give them your 100%. They need your best every single day. They need your love. They need your expertise to teach them. They need you to be 100% dedicated to your craft. They need you. Not your tears. They need to learn."
AND
"Every day is a new day."
"Every day is a new day to grow. Every day is a clean slate with opportunities galore. Every day gives us a chance to give them something that only we can give, our 100%. So, always show up ready to do just that!"
From that day forward I took her wisdom to heart. And I do to this day. I love what I do. I love the kids I get to be teach each day. I am honored to be part of a school system that tries its best to meet the needs of its students, however they show up. My principal is awesome. I've seen him many times show great concern for students. He knows their names. The teachers I work with show up each and every day ready to give their all. I admire these people greatly.
I had a very nice moment from a teacher recently when she said to me..."Oh, there were several crying at once today, and all I could think was..."Where is Mrs. Robbins..she knows how to calm the storm. You just know how to make things right, then we can teach, and so can you."
I turn myself inside out for my students. Kindergarten is my favorite. I work with some very unique little people. I have a couple who absolutely love my jewelry. I have one little one who says every single day
"Oh, Mrs Robbins, you just know how to look so good. You always match and you always smell so good."
"Oh Mrs. Robbins, I brought you raisins. I don't want you to be hungry."
"Are you proud of me because I know this stuff?" "I'm proud of you because you are you. I'm happy that you are learning. You came to school. I'm proud of that."
Every day is a new day for each and every one of us. Every day is a new opportunity to give something to someone. Every day is a clean slate. Every day is a new day to love someone. Every day is a new day to honor. I get to do these things....every single day. I'm honored to teach. I'm honored to love these people.
I love you.
Honor someone today with your life.
Be Love to someone today.
Julie Erb Robbins
No comments:
Post a Comment