Its day 37 and I actually thought of quitting while I sat waiting for my laundry to dry on a Friday night. My dryer is not hooked up yet, and the new to us one we got needs a different type of hook up, which I know nothing about and so I needed to dry a couple of loads, which took longer than expected, so I thought, ugh, I have not written yet today. I should just quit. This is getting hard. I am having to dig deep to think up things to write about and I have freaking 63 more days not including today.
Then I was driving home from drying laundry and I thought, what do I want to say?
Hug your babies.
That's what came to me, how original. And everyone with a baby says, shut the f up....do you know how much limited sleep I am functioning on? Do you know how often this little bugger got me up to nurse last night? Do you know how long its been since I've been alone with my husband? Do you know how long its been since I have worn a regular bra and btw, nursing bras are simply matronly!!! and I hate nursing bras!!!
Yes, yes I do. I still have one who crawls in my bed at night.
Hug your babies.
Do you know how hard it is to part with them and send them to school? Do you know how kids are mean and don't want to be there friend? Do you know parents are mean? Do you know they turn into demons at age 13?
Yes, Yes I do. I get how hard it all is.
Hug your babies.
Why? Because they do grow up and brush their own teeth. They do go to school and have a teacher that they may not like. Because they may not make that sports team, and it will crush them. Because kids are mean, and so are adults. They will drive away with people you don't know. They will go places you never thought. They will grow up, leave your nest, get very busy, have a life. The will live a life at times you think, how the hell did that happen? They will meet people you may never meet. And your kids will probably not like you. Not every day, but seasons at a time it may even feel like they hate you. Yup, that happens.
So, hug your babies and take pictures. Take pictures so you can remember the good times when the difficult times rise like a wave that you believe will drown you. I remember a very wise friend named Vicki Heath once told me she used to watch videos of her son when he was 3 when he became a teenager so she would not kill him. Because he was still that sweet boy just hiding in that big man body.
So, here's to day 37.
Here's to hugging your babies.
I'm trying to do my best each day.
But this parenting gig? Gets me every time.
Remembering the good.
Julie Erb Robbins
No comments:
Post a Comment