Thursday, February 2, 2017

Mrs.Robbins...you smell good...Day 64 of 100

I teach kindergarten literacy. Not all schools have this program, but Bangor Schools do. I work with kindergarten children who come into kindergarten who may need a little boost in the area of literacy. Literacy encompasses many areas, but mostly what I do is support the teacher, support the students, and do my best to have them reading at grade level by the end of the school year. I teach them their letters, sounds, sight words. I teach them how to write, read, and share. We learn beginning, middle, and end sounds of words. We learn how to write our names, we play games with letters and sight words. We talk a lot. I usually start the day with..."Is there anything your would like to say...good or bad...whatever is on your mind.." Communication is also part of literacy. Being able to carry on an intelligent conversation, communicate your thoughts and feelings in a way that makes sense to the listener, to be able to pronounce words properly, all play a role in literacy.

I work with a motley crew at times. There is usually more going on than just learning their a,b,c's. I have several students that calm themselves by sitting very close to me and playing with my earrings or necklace. Touching my necklace is a something they find soothing. I oblige. I'm a "whatever works" kind of teacher. I have little ones who come in mid year that do not know how to write their names. These kids can have the squeakiest voices...all high pitched. I noticed that just the other day. They may struggle to pay attention. Their thoughts can be disjointed. I had a little person just enter the system who does not know any sounds and only 4 letters. Its Feb. 2! Here comes Ann Sullivan to the rescue...aka...Julie Robbins...oh my. I only worked with this sweet child yesterday and when I came into the room today, this child made a beeline for me, sat in my lap, and would not let go. His teacher said, Can you just take this student? add one more? I know you only take 4...but....

Of course I said "Yes."

I realized today as I worked with each of my groups I am an extremely patient person. I can see how some of my friends might seem annoying in some of their behaviors to the average person, but I love them. Their little voices, the way they have to be reminded how to sit in a chair, asked several times to repeat themselves because to the listener who only has mere seconds to listen one would not understand what the child was saying...but I simply say.."Can you say that again please? I really want to know what you just told me. Its important to me that I know what you just said..."

I went into one of the classrooms the other day to conference about one of my lovelies...the teacher said to me..

"We are so fortunate to have you. You combine your knowledge of literacy with such a caring, loving, nurturing way about you. These children I send you need this. They need your kind of attention and care."

When a teacher who has been teaching over 20 years tells you this...its a major compliment. I'm honored that they feel this way about me. There have been many times the teachers have been relieved to have me take my group. It gives them a little break to have a smaller group to work with, and I get to teach a small group that needs a little xtra tlc.

I'm on high gear the whole time I am there. I am thinking of 1000 ways to make the letter Aa interesting. I am working with a semi needy population...being 5 or 6 years old makes you needy every day of the week. They are so loving too...

Mrs. Robbins... I love you. So Much.
Mrs. Robbins...you smell so good.
Mrs. Robbins...I love how your jewelry always matches your outfit and boots.
Mrs. Robbins..I love your makeup.
Mrs. Robbins...are you so proud of me because I am learning?  to which I reply...I'm proud of you...just because...I'm happy you are learning...that's good for your brain!!
When they hug you, or cry to you because they have had a rough morning, or run up to you for a quick squeeze, or tell you something fun they did. When they finally recognize all their letters and sounds AND can read to you....ahhhhhhhhmazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I get paid to do this. I think its a pretty awesome job. I work with some amazing people. I love the Bangor School system. They do attract the best of the best. Teachers are my favorite people on earth. Its a society of its own. Working with people who serve others every single day, for the betterment of society? Pretty spectacular. We love a new batch of people, every single year. We never went into it for the money. Teaching is a calling. It's servanthood, every single day.

Blessed to Teach.
I love them.
I love You.
Teachers Rock.

Julie Erb Robbins


No comments: