Have you ever been late to something important? A job interview? Your wedding? Work? Picking up someone for school? Missed an event because you wrote the wrong date down? A bill that did not get paid that multiplied because of late fees?
We've all been late for something, someone, or a responsibility.
99.9% of the time it has not been life or death. We have tomorrow. We can say we are sorry. We can make the late payment, pay extra, just don't make the same mistake twice. Get to the interview on time. Reschedule the appointment. Retake the test.
But, when it comes to human beings, we can be too late, and we can be unable to make it up, because they are gone. Gone for good. Never to be seen again, talked to again, touched again, kissed again, held again. Gone.
And we simply never know when that last touch will occur. We get so focused on ourselves, our issues, our angst. Our own struggles in a effort to get to somewhere, or striving for SOME THING...
We forget and forgo the SOME Body.
That some Body that was always there for us. Always. Supported us. Never missed an accolade. Was ready with a smile, a hug, a warm embrace. Never stayed angry at us for long. Forgave us in the blink of an eye. Held us when we cried. Laughed with us when there was something to laugh about.
As I sat across from my Mom today in Longhorn Steak house, these thoughts were running through my head. My Mom has been a good Mom. She has been fair. She has been kind. She has crafted her life around my sister and myself, something I have done with my own family. She always knew what was most important. She never has missed a single thing in my life. She has listened to me weep, laugh, be in pain. Was there for all 3 of my children's births..(not in the room, but outside waiting, and quickly came in after the children were born). My Mom has tirelessly prayed for me, every single day. That is an immeasurable blessing.
I memorized her hair today as she sat across from me. It was shiny, dark, and in perfect place. She ate her strawberry and pecan salad, no feta, no onions. I joked with her she was taking out the best parts. I told her she was a good Mom today. That I appreciated her being with me. She told me it was she that was honored to have me as her daughter. My Mom and I have always been a bit different in our personalities, but, I have always known how much my Mom loved me. She is a good person. Her heart is for the good of others.
I am considering today one of those "Good Days"...Saturday, February 5, 2017.
You may not have a Mom, but I am very sure there is someone in your life that has poured into like a Mom would, or significant other, or a special friend or valuable relationship. I don't talk to my Mom every day. I try to see her once a week. Maybe you have lost contact with that special person. Contact them. While people are Alive, its not too late. It's never too late when someone is alive.
But, when they are gone, that's it. No more chances.
There's this permanent thing called Death.
No one knows when it will happen.
I memorized today. I loved today. I made peace today. I joked today. I enjoyed today.
I love you.
Make this day your day to memorize. To love. To make peace. To remember the good.
We all have good rememberings.
Blessed Today, and Every day, always when I pay attention.
Julie Erb Robbins
No comments:
Post a Comment