Thursday, January 19, 2017

Day 50!!!!!!!!!!! Woot Woot. What Inspires Me. Great Half Way Point.

I've talked about what I love, what I hate, and now, what inspires me.  I am learning that I am inspired daily as an educator by my students and the people I work with. I'm very fortunate to have a career of choice that gives me something to look forward to each day. I do love my job. Its very fulfilling and rewarding.

I'm inspired by.....

1. Kindness. When someone is genuinely kind, it touches such a deep part of me. I had a recent conversation with a woman I have admired from a distance. She is the epitome of love and caring. I have listened about her caring for others, but I got to experience it first hand this week, and began to have hope again because of her caring and kindness. When you are a giver, you understand how important being kind is. You want others to feel good about themselves and you want to be part of that. I have always wanted my home to be a place of warmth, acceptance, family to many. That's me. I don't go looking for kindness, I am usually the giver of kindness. But when someone looks you in the eye, asks you how you are really doing, and cares? And is kind? And you know they aren't going to go and gossip anything you tell them? It touches me so very deeply. To know this kind woman is praying for me for the next month? Every single day? I'm inspired by that kindness. I feel full because of that kindness. I am able to do and be much more because of that care and kindness. I am inspired by acts of kindness. WOW.

2. Bill Cumming. I met Bill when I was 19 years old and he changed the course of my life. Bill would not necessarily want or need this kind of acknowledgement, but he will say thank you for it! Bill is the epitome of loving kindness. He is probably the most consistent person I know. He does everything with a purpose. He is open minded. He can talk to anyone and you simply know Bill is listening and cares. I remember being in his class called "The Teaching Process" and he said.."Do everything with energy, enthusiasm, and like it matters...even cleaning the toilet. If you can clean a toilet like that, you can do anything with all those components."  He believes in personal responsibility. He believes in loving ALL PEOPLE. ALL. He believes in respecting everyone, all the time. He believes that you have a choice, every single day, in every single moment, and he believes one should live like this is your last moment. Bill has supported us on many fronts. He's been my coach, counselor, mentor, and friend. I am who I am partially because of Bill Cumming. I continue to love 100% of the time, and I thank Bill for his life in my life. I love you Bill.

3. My husband. You want to know how to live genuine...ask him. Carl has suffered in this life. He has overcome A LOT. He has overcome adversity with his tenacity for seeing the silver lining. He is the giver of many chances. He is kind. He is a great father. He knows how to look at the beauty in life, appreciate it, and focus on what is most important of any given moment of any given day. He tells me he loves me all the time. He still sends me my Friday Rose, long after its necessary, but he wants me to have a weekly reminder of that boy who met that girl who is so very grateful for that girl. He has grown up before my eyes. He beat poverty, abuse, abandonment, just to name a few things. He loves his life. He's well liked and well respected. He's brilliant. He's one of those beautiful minds. And he has heart. The trials of this life have not made him bitter, they have made him empathetic. He has compassion. He cares deeply and is able to remain calm when all is faltering around us. He's a Dad who will come to you at 11:30p.m. because you want to talk. He's a dad who will crawl in and cuddle you to help you sleep at night. He's a husband who tries his best to honor with his words and support. He's a Dad who will say to people,"There's nothing like watching my boy sleep...if a child sleeps on you....that is the most special gift of trust. Children trust. That's a gift." I'm blessed he spotted me and asked me to dance.

Its hard when you start naming people, because I think of my parents, my friends, my wonderful extended family. They all have stories that have inspired me over the years. The people who have been in the trenches with me, been good to my children, prayed for our family. I so appreciate all these people. I would not be me without you. I do love you all.

4. God. I am inspired to seek the good, each and every day. I believe this is because of the relationship I have with God. I am constantly trying to read inspirational works, like the book I am reading currently by Ann Voskamp called "The Broken Way." Ann inspires me to keep on loving, no matter what. I think God does that for me too. Recently I felt this need to begin kneeling while I have been praying. I know there is no magic to it, I just had not done it in a very long time. I journal my prayers, I pray in the car, I pray driving down the road, but this was different. I've had a hard time sleeping at night for a while. I would wake up at 2 a.m. or 3 a.m. and just mull over so many things in my mind. Now, instead of just laying there, worrying, or whatever I thought I was accomplishing by thinking too much, I get out of bed, go down stairs, and kneel in front of a chair every single person I have loved has sat in for the past 12 years. I kneel and pray. It may sound weird, and that's okay. But, have you ever wondered if for just a week you decided to stop worrying, kneel, and pray? What if we stopped complaining and just knelt. What if we stopped thinking it was our job to fix, and instead, just knelt and said "I don't know what to do about this. I don't know how to fix it. I simply don't know. But, you do God. You know me. You know I fail. But you know my heart, and you know I'm doing the best I can. I'm turning this one over to you to do your magic. And thank you in advance." Its not difficult. I don't know why people fight God. or whatever you want to call "God". God does make a difference. I see it every day. Just ask. You'll never be turned away.

I choose to be loving, as I have been inspired to do so. I choose to listen to that still small voice more than any of the negativity. I am fortunate to curl up with a man every night who knows my heart, knows what I look like at my worst, and still says, every day...I Love You...  I have oodles of people who have blessed my life with their positive energy, the way they have loved all my kids and accepted everyone, they way they continue to encourage and care and be kindness to all of us.

Thankful for this life.
Blessed in the Nest.

Julie Erb Robbins

No comments: