Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Day 90 of this Lovely Writing Challenge...My Promise to You.

Have you ever made a promise you fully intended to keep? I have.
Have you ever broken a promise for no good reason? I have.
Have you ever broken a promise, only to regret breaking the promise, but not knowing how to fix it? I have.


Have you ever been so happy about keeping a promise? I have.

What is a promise? A promise is an agreement that is made, written or verbal, between two parties, two entities, but it usually takes two. Two people, entities, companies, etc. One can make promises to oneself, but it requires an acknowledgement of something one is doing for ones self, so its a melding of a mind & heart, creating some sort of synchronicity between the two. At the base of a promise, is an agreement that is made, and when the promise is made, it is expected to be kept. No one enters a promise thinking the promise will be broken...ever.

A promise is something between two people that usually involves a commitment. It involves trust. It involves deep emotional bonds. A promise between two people is never taken lightly.  A promise sometimes involves giving up something for another person that is valuable. A promise is a serious commitment.

If I promise to do something, I will do it or I will not promise it in the first place. I might say.."I will try to be there, but, if my car doesn't start, I can't come." But if I tell you I will be there, I will be there, no matter what, because my word is my bond.

A promise involves keeping your word. If you are a person of honor and integrity, and that matters to you, you will keep your word. Keeping your word means you are loyal. A promise kept is not a matter of convenience, or ease, or how you feel on any given day. Keeping your word is a matter of integrity. If you only keep your promises or keep your word when life is easy or going your way, you lack integrity and true honor.  Keeping your word means you want to have honor. You want to be known for your integrity. You want people to know you can be counted on.

A person who keeps their promises is a strong person. This kind of person can be trusted. Their mind is made up and they keep their word. A person who keeps their promises is someone you know will not only be there for the good times, but they will not leave in the bad times. No one wants a fair weather friend. No one wants a fair weather spouse. No one wants a fair weather parent. No one wants a fair weather company.  A person who keeps their promises is dependable, self less, honorable, full of integrity, mature, and trustworthy.

ANNNDDDDD

Here comes my promise.

I promise to fail. I promise I will need forgiveness. I promise to do my best to love you, knowing there will be holes in my love. I promise to be there for you as much as I possibly can, but you have to let me know you need me. I promise I will need your mercy and grace. I promise to give mercy and grace. I promise to admit when I have done wrong. I promise to apologize any time I think I have hurt you. I promise to forgive you, no matter what. I promise to love you, cry for you, pray for you, believe good things for you. I promise to live every day to the best of my abilities and strength.

Its a lot to promise. But promises matter to me. Being a person of integrity matters to me. I want people to know I am one of the people in your life that you can count on. I want to live with honor. I want to tell the truth, and when I don't, I will tell you I lied, and will you please forgive me. I want to be honest and keep my promises.

 A promise to another human is a sacred bond, not to be taken lightly, ever. I don't take anything lightly, EVER. I'm a bit intense, but, you can rest assured, if I tell you something I mean it. Forever. And if I can't do something, I make it so I can. Or I work on it until it works.

Promises kept mean you feel good about you and the person you keep the promise with.

I love you. I really do. I promise, that will never change.

Julie Erb Robbins

No comments: