Monday, December 19, 2016

Christmas gifts remembered...from Carl.

I remember our first Christmas together. We had been dating about 9 months. It was an exciting time. I honestly cannot remember what I gave him, but I remember what he gave me. A jewelry box, which I still have. Its made it through all our moving from place to place. Its on a dresser in my bedroom. He said, I bought it because you are a "Jewel--ry girl." He also got me a music box with a rose inside, which I also still have. I was thrilled. I also got a Gund bear that I still have, somewhere in my attic memories. I will try to post a pic later of all 3 items.

I remember the first Christmas we had a tree. We lived in apt. 34 on 818 Ohio Street in Bangor, Maine, which used to be called the Granadas, owned by Sheldon Hartstone. We got Christmas lights for the tree that sang all kinds of Christmas songs. We still have those lights, and they still work! We let Kristen and Lucas use them for their first couple of Christmas's. I remember laying around in front of that tree, feeling like an adult finally. MY OWN TREE!!! woot woot. It was a real tree too. It smelled so nice. It was lovely to come back to the apartment to see that tree all decorated. Good memories under the tree.

I loved one of the first adult gifts Carl gave me for Christmas. My sister thought it was insulting, but, being my practical self, I loved it. I was one of those college students that could not stand to study in a messy apartment. I always had to clean before I could sit down and study. So, Carl had gone to Frati's Pawn Shop in Bangor, Maine and had purchased me a brand new electrolux vacuum cleaner for $100. That was a lot of money back then, and now, actually....but he knew it was the best kind of vacuum, and he knew I liked our space to be clean. I LOVED IT.  I thought it was the best. The electrolux lasted almost 20 years!

When we were living in Howland, Maine, and we had a 2 year old and a 6 week old infant, life was crazy. I was exhausted, overwhelmed, trying to keep my head above water with two babies. We still managed a tree that year in our tiny little house of barely 800 square feet grand total, including a bathroom! I remember that Christmas morning, just feeling deflated. No sleep, no money, I had gotten some gifts, but just feeling broke. And Carl hands me a box. A little box, and I opened it. I began to cry. It was a necklace that I had always wanted, a Mother necklace, with a Mom holding her babies, in gold, with a few small diamonds. I cried. You don't have to buy me another gift ever. This is beautiful. Anything for you babe. You are doing a great job.

There was another Christmas in Howland that was awesome too. It was my Mary Kay Christmas where Jeni Lloyd played Santa and called all her customers husbands and told them our wish lists. Carl bought every single thing on my wish list from perfume to lipstick to all my skin care needs. AHHHHH.....now that was THE BEST...total pampering.

Finally, when I was 40 I got my special mixer that is the most wanted mixer of all cooks, and as I am writing this in my bed, I cannot remember the name of that damn mixer....LOL..... now that's funny. But I love that mixer, its gray, it matches my kitchen, and well. I love it.

I have loved giving gifts to my kids over the years. I had the most fun buying for all of them last Christmas. I love the special gifts I got each of their significant others, kind of like a theme. I love to give. I probably like that better than getting. I love the idea of making someones eyes light up. It brings me such joy.

Now that Carl and I are older, we do things a bit differently. We may take a shopping day and just get each other a couple of little things. The gifts we cherish now are so different. We cherish our kids, our extended family, just being together. We have created traditions to welcome people into the clan. We miss people. WE love people, and just enjoy being with them.

Our love for each other is that corny sounding gift that really is the gift. To be with someone who knows everything about you and still loves you anyway...thats THE GIFT.

Maybe there is someone you can gift with your presence this year.
There may be someone who needs your hugs, your voice, your acceptance.
Maybe a phone call or a stop by to show you care.
These are all the gifts Carl and I value now.

Be the gift to someone this season.
Merry Christmas.
I love you.

Julie Erb Robbins

No comments: