I am just settling down to write. I made my cocoa. The right way. Yes, there is a right way. With Milk. I heat up the milk and add the cocoa mix. Divine. You can use almond milk, I do for my daughter when she is home because she is vegan. Tastes wonderful that way as well. But the milk, oh, so smooth and creamy. Along with a kiss cookie, I'm ready to do this thing.
Today was a snow day. Teachers and children alike love these days. A call came through at 5a.m. to alert me on my cell phone that there was no school today. My girls always loved these "stay at home days" they would call them. Daniel is no different. He had no interest in going out in the snow. Which, I have no interest going out in the snow either. I am a beach Mom. Carl is the snow Dad. He likes sledding, I like swimming, laying in the sand. Our division of labor works brilliantly. Daniel's one goal today was to get the huge box of ornaments in the livingroom all on the tree. Dad said he could not do it. Daniel said, Watch Me.... MOM!!!! can you come help me put all these ornaments on the tree. Hehe...Dad...we did! We got every last ornament on the tree together! We were so proud of ourselves.
Another thing about a snow day is the breakfast. A snow day is like a Saturday, in which, when the girls did not have other stuff going on, we would sit down and have a non cereal breakfast. During the work week its cereal (we have at least 4 kinds to choose from, including oatmeal), juice, and for the adults, coffee. On Saturdays and snow days, its pancakes, or waffles, or eggs & toast, or home made muffins, something that takes effort. This morning I made a huge snowman pancake. Daniel thought he for sure could eat all of it. He did eat the head and middle, but the last part was eaten by Dad. It was huge. It filled up a platter. I made mine with chocolate chips. Oh yummy, yummy snow day food.
Carl went into school to do work. His day is never done. So Daniel and I climbed in bed around noon and read from Farmer Boy by Laura Ingalls Wilder. We made it a chapter and we both wanted to nap. So we did. Gloriously, relaxing, nap. We read 4 more chapters just before I started this blog post, and he is asleep. We read him to sleep most nights, just like we did his sisters. Can I tell you what a blessing it is to have this little one in our house? Carl and I must say this almost every day. We get to relive all the fun times we had when the girls were little. Its a much needed blessing to remember the fun you had when you have adult children. We love Daniel, and how much he reminds us of the good.
I finished my Christmas cards. I'm not sending out many this year. I'm proud of myself, though, for completing them. I saved a couple for safe keeping. I put them in the mail tonight. I went up to the store and got stamps. Flag stamps, though. On Christmas cards? I was a bit disappointed about the stamps....lol. But, hey, I live in America...so, okay to the flag stamps I guess....
We had another lovely dinner tonight of chicken pot pies, corn, squash, applesauce, and bread. All by candlelight, because tis the season. I love candle light. Everyone looks fab by candle light. Its soothing. Candle light makes all things special, even chicken pot pie.
So, my Snow Day is done. My home is lit. My fence is covered in beautiful lights and I got the snowflake lights for my porch I have eyed for years, and when I drive up the street and see my house, I think, Christmas is happening in that place. Joy can come and visit, stay, and be welcomed in the Nest.
Happy Holidays and such.
I'm getting there.
Love to you all.
Julie Erb Robbins
No comments:
Post a Comment