The Robbins Family Christmas Party was today. Carl, myself, and Daniel went from our household. We were running a little late, par usual for such events. BUT, we made it, white elephant gifts in hand for the Yankee swap. The party was in full swing when we got there, full of people, excellent food, festive music, and fun games.
As we chatted with each other several things I noticed.
We had new people there. Faith's fiancee's parents were there. Kelly and Jon Gaudette. I really like them. They have been together since age 18, made life work. 2 kids and a business, living together, having fun together. I'm glad they have joined in with the fam. I like their son. I told him I was glad he was here today and gave him a hug. I did not know these people existed a year ago. They are lovely humans. And they brought awesome bakery food from Frank's and a big platter of chic filet chicken nuggets, but its real chicken, and Daniel simply loved THAT!!!
There were people missing who had come last year. I missed those people. I also missed some of the family who could not attend due to the weather. Its hard when you are planning a party, though. Can't always count on everyone or the weather. But the crowd that was there was very warm and friendly.
We played Yankee swap. We played this game where you roll a die and there's this mass of items covered in plastic wrap and how many die you roll is how many times you turn the package around to unwrap the item. I got a lip balm out of it. It was was so fun. Daniel got a popcorn maker from the Yankee swap, I got a mini convection dorm oven, and Carl got a bag of string...the one downer gift, other than the training bra, that Dave Cashman, Karen's husband somehow left behind. That gift got some laughs....way too funny.
I always am drawn back to the first family Christmas party I ever went to with Carl at the Robbins House. It was in that house, only the house was owned by Grammy Robbins at the time. I got to meet the whole family at once. I had met others periodically through out the previous several months, but this was the big party. I remember Carl bringing me in wanting to introduce me to everyone. I remember when the gift exchange time came, he had gifts for me. I could not believe it. I had never been included in anyone's Christmas celebration before. I had never been involved in a big family gathering before I came into this family. It was always only us four at my house. But I loved all this family around. It was a totally new experience. I have one of the original gifts Carl gave me at that Christmas party. It was music box with a rose inside. It plays this beautiful music, still. His grandmother took a picture of me sitting in his lap. I have that picture somewhere. He looked so happy in the picture. He had never brought anyone to this gathering, so I guess everyone knew I was special. Everyone was nice to me, I went feeling nervous, I left feeling happy. It was a great first meeting. That was 30 Christmas seasons ago.
30 Christmas's. 30. 30 Seasons with these people I call family. I could not put all the good, bad, and ugly we have all gone through together in one blog post. Births, deaths, marriages, graduations, baby showers, birthday parties, camping. 30 seasons of life I have done with these people. I made a comment to Henry and said "I think you have mellowed." but then I followed with, "Well, I guess I have mellowed and don't care as much about much of anything like I used to. Live, learn and let live. " One of my favorite pics I took of Henry this time last year when we had a spaghetti feed night was him giving me the bird. I laughed and laughed. I would have never found that funny 30 years ago, but it made me laugh now. A lot can change in 30 years. My love for all these people has grown deep roots. I love the new people who have been added. I'm also sad for the departed. We've suffered loss, this crew. But we keep on loving, keep on accepting, keep on, keeping on.
A good crew at the party today. I am very fortunate to have these people. I'm very happy to know each and every one of them. I love them all.
Merry Christmas to the many Nests represented in our Clan called family.
Love to you all.
Julie Erb Robbins
No comments:
Post a Comment