I have always hated the school bus. I grew up in Hampden, Maine on the Kennebec Road. My Mom still lives here. Its in a country setting where the neighbors are somewhat spread out. Everyone took the bus because there was no walking to school, and back then parents were not driving their kids to school. It just did not happen. And all ages rode the bus together. Kindergarten on up to high school. I had to ride the bus throughout my ENTIRE senior year. Tell me about life sucking. It sucks to ride the bus when you are a senior in high school. I know, I know, real trials in life here.....LOL
I was picked on when I rode the bus. I clearly was not a "cool kid". I was odd looking. Extremely homely. I mentioned in an earlier post that I had an adorable little sister that everyone loved, but me? oh my. Just pure awkward. There were some mean boys on the bus that would bring animal furs on the bus and try to scare me by rubbing them in my face. Those furs terrified me. I would avoid eye contact at all costs just so I would not engage with anyone. I would quickly find my seat, get out my book, and proceed to read for the whole hour I was on the bus. I HATED THE BUS.
I have always cringed at the thought of my kids riding the bus. I did everything I could to make sure they never rode the bus, but then on the first day of middle school for Kristen, her friend Maddie knocked on the door, and said "Kristen, you want to ride the bus with me this morning?" and out the door she went to ride the bus to and from school.
Today Daniel rode the bus to school for the first time. He has been begging me since school started to ride the bus to school. I have always said NO, because I like to see you each morning right before I go to work, I like to walk you to the building, I like to hug and kiss you and tell you I love you one more time each day. I like that you are my last memory each day before I go to work. He just looked at me. MOM, you will have me forever. I will always love you, even when I'm 100, now, can I please just ride the bus to school just this morning....OKAY.
And away he went.
I made the comment to the other Moms at the bus stop, Wow, My Son just grew ME up today. They smiled. They all knew what I meant. Another rite of passage down for the boy. Another example of him growing up and being separate from Mom. He hugged and kissed me this morning before he got on the bus. He is simply the best.
He's helping me to let go...but I am so glad he still climbs in bed with us for snuggles.
I've got a little bit of time left.
But I also know how quickly life goes by.
I've already blinked too long for the first 2 children.
Relishing Life with Daniel.
I'm growing UP.
I love my boy so very much.
He rode the bus home for a better part of this week. He said he would only ask me one day a week to put him on the bus in the morning because he knows I love driving him to school, so he'd make a deal with me. 1 morning, 5 afternoons...on the bus. Deal? okay, deal. I love how he negotiates for what he wants, and is so considerate the whole time.
"I know you love me Mom, and I promise to hug you when I get home."
Blessed in this Nest.
Much Love, Always.
Julie Erb Robbins
No comments:
Post a Comment