I would conjecture as I begin to write tonight that we all have fallen into one of these categories at one time or another. Most would concur that one would rather be a King or a Queen, but not a peasant. A peasant is not usually a person who is honored, revered, or respected, least not by a King or a Queen.
I was recently listening to a teaching about Moses and Pharaoh. Moses was considered a peasant by Pharaoh. I could easily say, "What a total jerk, that Pharaoh is, he would not let the Jewish people go, and Moses kept going to Pharaoh, time and time again, but all Moses got was a "No!" and the treatment got worse on the slaves each time. But Moses obeyed his directives and kept going back to Pharaoh. Pharaoh was so stubborn. Each time he refused Moses, a plague came upon the land. It took 7 plagues before Pharaoh gave freedom to the slaves, and he not only let them go, he gave them their plunder back that was stolen from the slaves and asked Moses to bless him with a prayer because he now believed Moses' God to be more powerful than the idols Pharaoh himself had chosen to worship.
Why do I like this story? Its kind of gruesome. Its kind of sad. It involves keeping a people group in slavery. You see, nothing that is happening in this world is new under the sun. People have been trying to enslave people since the beginning of time, and its NEVER been supported by God. Ever.
Why do I like this story then...
I would conjecture we all have a little Moses in us, and a whole lot of Pharaoh.
How determined are you? If someone tells you "No" when you believe in something that you simply know should happen, do you get all discouraged, defeated, and deflated? Do you listen to the criticism and the nay sayers? What if Moses had given up after the first try? What if Moses had walked away and said..."Oh well, I guess a "No" is what I will have to take for an answer...I give up." Let me tell you....there have been many many many times I have wanted to quit. I was the first person in my immediate family to complete a college degree. I had no one telling me I had to go to college. I was told by my guidance counselor I simply was not college material. I was unable to get pregnant as quickly as I wanted to. And then, when I FINALLY got pregnant, it ended in a miscarriage, while I was attending a funeral....talk about depressing. These are just 2 things I was told "No" about, but I said, TOO BAD! I am going to college, and I am going to have a baby. I not only got that degree, but I got 3 children...THREE! Not one, but THREE...I was not taking No for an answer because the benefit of being determined outweighed the despair I felt as college was hard, and getting pregnant was hard. I wasn't giving up. I could have said after that first miscarriage, "Oh well, I guess this means I'll never have children. I guess this means I will be sad for the rest of my life..." Or...
"Wow, college is hard. This is going to take a little longer than I planned, guess it wasn't meant to be."
NOPE, I did not take NO for an answer. No was not acceptable. It may have taken me 5 years to get my degree, but I got it. I love my job. It may have taken me 6 pregnancies to get my 3 children, but I did not give up. I have 3 of the best treasures this world will ever give me. I did not take no for an answer, nor did I give up.
What will it take for you to change? For Pharaoh, it took 7 horrible plagues. SEVEN. Seven devastating experiences that not only affected Pharaoh, but affected a whole people group. Everyone in the land suffered at the time. Those people would go to Pharaoh, in fear of their lives for questioning the king, but begging, LET THOSE PEOPLE GO...let them out of slavery so we can have peace in the land!!!! He kept saying NO. I am stubborn, I want my own will, I want my own way, I am not listening to reason, I am not changing my mind. Until finally, finally, even the King realized, okay, I am up against something bigger than myself, and I need to do something different to make this tragedy stop, and be fair, and make a good decision.
How many "plagues" will it take for God to get your attention? It could take one, or it could take 7, or it could take 100. It all depends on how stubborn you want to be. I have been a wayward learner at times, but eventually, my attention is gotten. It usually takes me some sort of trauma, unexpected loss, a sharp word, or a even something as simple as my friend Valerie reminding me "Julie, stop being distracted. Keep focused on what is already in your heart!"....
It would appear we have a dump truck load of Pharaohs. Puffed up, arrogant, looking down on the Moses' in the world whom are trying to say...Give someone another chance...Be the love...Care...Be kind...Remember the good....
And Pharaoh stands there, arms crossed, saying "Tough Shit. There is no way I will admit I'm wrong. I'm not changing. I want things my way..."
Okay, have it your way.
But, we all have Moses' in our lives that continue to remind us of what is the right thing to do.
We need a Moses to remind us that as we stand with stubborn arms folded, to warn us again of pending harm if this behavior continues. I'm warning you, Pharaoh. You will face the plagues, but you don't have to. You can stop this at any time. ANY TIME... up to you. You could you be happy...but...
I have been a Moses, and I have been a Pharaoh.
In both seasons I have learned from these characters.
Admit when you are wrong.
Forgive readily.
Listen to the people who love you unconditionally.
Be compassionate.
Fight for something you believe in....don't be deterred by others...don't take NO for an answer..
Pray without ceasing...God will move on your behalf.
Be patient.
Be relentless.
Do Not Give Up.
Did Moses know it would take 7 plagues? What if he had stopped at 6? What if he'd only asked 6 times to be let go instead of 7? Keep going....Keep plugging away....Keep doing the right thing even when the wrong things are happening...what ever you are dreaming for may take a little longer, or it may not. But do not give up. I am so glad I never gave up!
If you are currently wearing Pharaoh's robe, and you are being stubborn for the wrong reasons, consider this. There is a time and place to be strong and stubborn, but if you are harming others, this is not the time. If your crossed arms stance is hurting someone else, reconsider your stance. Not only will you feel better, so will they.
I'm all for peace in the kingdom with the King, the Queen, and the Peasant.
I believe we can all live in harmony.
If we choose it.
I love you.
Always and Forever.
Julie Erb Robbins
No comments:
Post a Comment