Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Day 84....I saw myself on UTube Today....

Several years ago I was a MOPS mentor. MOPS stands for Mothers of Preschoolers. I began going to MOPS when Daniel was about 15 months old. I was in a unique positions with the Moms in attendance because all of them who had children Daniel's age were just starting out on this parenting journey. I was re-entering the phase of parenting a young child, as I had a sophmore and an 8th grader at the time. The gal in charge, Amy Lane, immediately felt I had something more to offer, since I was well into the teen years, seemed happy, had hair, and could carry on intelligent conversations...She thought,

"Julie, you could mentor us. You have been there, done that, and you could shine a light..."

Oh Boy. Could I ever, but, I had to be careful to not tell them too much, so they didn't jump out a window ahead of time.... I also had to be sensitive to the needs of new Moms, Moms having babies for the first time, Moms trying to handle multiple little ones. Never say to a new Mom

"You just wait, it gets way worse..." even on the days I truly felt that. Like, oh my, you will wish for these sleepless nights because you actually DO KNOW WHERE YOUR 2 YEAR OLD IS....

I was recorded and I was on UTube this morning while I gave a brief opening of encouragement to the Moms at MOPS, a word from the Bible, and just something funny.

Have you ever listened to yourself speak and think, Wow, she's good. Yup, I thought that about myself this morning. I am not trying to overly praise myself or be puffed up, but after I watched myself I thought, that gal is a good speaker. I am fluent. I am funny. (People were laughing.) I have a point, and it was shared. It was good. And....for the life of me I can't bring it up on UTube, or I would share it with you right now.

I share this tonight because I thought it was interesting. I have been many things, over many different seasons. I've had many different roles, titles, career/job choices, life titles. I feel very complete in my life experiences. I bring a lot to the table. I have had broad life experiences, worked with so many different people, in many different types of jobs, and I am glad. I am a well rounded person. I think anyone who had ever worked with me would say I get along very well with others. I make friends where ever I go. I enjoyed my season of mentoring. It was fun, enlightening, a great way to socialize and meet other Moms. I would highly recommend MOPS to anyone.

Keep an open mind when you are given opportunities. I worked with some of the best people when I was a field worker for a summer sorting grass and herding sheep...yup...you heard it from me...that was also the summer I started to drink coffee. I have waitressed, sold diamond jewelry, cleaned houses, ran several of my own businesses, was an education director at a thriving church, shelved books at the Bangor Public Library (work study job), taught summer school, was a Family Literacy volunteer (teaching Mom and son how to read!). I am currently teaching Kindergarten Literacy at a elementary school in Bangor, I have also successfully raised two outstanding humans, working on my third, and I have to say, he's turning out pretty well. Being in a relationship is fun as well as work, and I think we've both done a pretty good job at that too.

Every single job you will ever do will teach you something about yourself and something about how well you work with others. Every single job matters. You don't need a fancy title to benefit yourself. My Mentor, Bill Cumming taught me to do EVERYTHING with energy, enthusiasm, and like it matters....and that includes cleaning the toilet, because if you can clean a toilet like its the most important thing to do, you can transfer that energy into every single other thing you are meant to do. And you can do it all with greatness and humility. Don't ever think you are "too good" for something. You aren't. Don't ever think you aren't "good enough" for something. You are. Take a chance. Try something new. Don't always stick with the same old same old. I will never forget the summer I herded sheep. I mean, really. Who can say they did that?

Being a Mentor to other Moms allowed me to share my "wisdom". I put that in parentheses because I learned more from them by listening to their stories of strength. Listen to others stories. Its one of the blessings of being in communion with other human beings.

Try something new. Work at something new. Take on a new challenge.
It might be re visiting an opportunity you thought was lost, only to find out, yeah, it wasn't.

Whatever you do...Do it with Energy, Enthusiasm, and Like It Matters.
Because it always does.
Love this way.
Be this Way.
Friendship this way.
Mentor this way.

I love you. That will NEVER change.
For Real.

Julie Erb Robbins

No comments: