Thus began our journey of encouragement for each other.
She would send me prayers she wrote. She would send scriptures from the Bible she thought might help. She would send me funny memes, or silly songs, or encouraging songs. I have kept every single text and prayer she has sent me over the past 7 months. I cherish all her words of blessings, prayers, and hope filled sayings. Recently she decided to start sending me sermons she has been listening to from a guy named Joel Osteen.
Some in the religious community might say to me.."What rock have you lived under? You don't know Joel Osteen?" Well, yes, I have heard of him, but I had never listened to him, I did not know anything about him, I know he's an author, but I have never read any of his books. So, when she sent me a sermon from UTube and it said it was only 25 minutes, I thought, okay, I'll give this a try.
The second sermon she sent me was called "Balanced Books." I have listened to that sermon 3 times, and I probably will listen to it again. I listened to "Don't rely on People.", "Faith for the Middle."...twice, "Rest from Your Enemies." today, that talked about breaking the dysfunction in your families, and how you can live differently from the way you have been raised, its your choice to recognize the dysfunction, and decide to do something differently, break the cycle of divorce, abuse, addiction, negativity, critical thinking, etc.
Every single teaching she has sent me I have loved. The words have been encouraging, enlightening, uplifting, hope giving. Listening to the promises have reminded me of who I belong to, and who is looking out for not only me, but my family. My life is not a mystery.
Carl came into the kitchen tonight as I was listening to Joel Osteen and he laughed. I said, Don't you go making fun of me that I'm listening to Joel O. He said, I would not dream of making fun of you! I just have never seen you getting into anyone's stuff like you have his. I think it's great if its bringing you peace. You deserve some peace in your life. I really do think its great. Whatever works? right?
I told my friend Sue today, between my prayers of Adoration on Fridays, and now this, who knows what I'm turning into....she said the same thing...Whatever works Julie. Whatever speaks to your heart, do it. I would never judge you, ever. I think its great.
Why do I like this guy? Joel Osteen? I have no idea. He's got a bit of a southern Texas twang. He's a happy sort. He makes the Bible understandable. He says it like he means it. He makes sense. He's grateful for his life, and it has not always been a life of ease, but he's taken away the good. He's positive. He's sees the good, or knows the good can come out of anything, even the worst case scenario.
If you'd like, take a listen. I have been encouraged. I don't think you have to agree 100% with anyone, but the take away I've gotten is this.
God cares.
God Knows.
God sees.
God is taking care of it, in God's timing, and we will come out on the other side knowing and seeing the good in it all, and during it all, in this life we have been blessed with.
Much love to you all.
Julie Erb Robbins
No comments:
Post a Comment