There's a cute expression I learned this morning at Dysarts.
"Breakfast at the Rail". Chris, the friendly waiter and bartender introduced the term to me and my bff Valerie amidst a packed house at Dysart's for breakfast. "Instead of saying you are at the bar for breakfast, I say "Welcome to the Rail. Enjoy." I laughed. Valerie said, Don't you just love the personality of bartenders? I'm not sure, I'm just learning to enjoy all this...LOL....and yes, Chris had a great personality, we had a filling breakfast that also counted as lunch, and went on our merry way.
Everything gets me thinking. You know that by now.
Instead of saying we went to a bar for breakfast, we tried to make it sound better.
Was the breakfast good? Yes.
Was the service excellent? Absolutely.
Did I enjoy my friend completely? Yup.
Did we have a time of reconnecting? Yes.
So. Why does it matter where, or when, or how?
We don't need a disclaimer.
We don't need a disclaimer.
We love each other. We love our friendship. We love our time together. No disclaimer needed.
(although I did tell Chris I wanted a tshirt that said "I had fun at the Rail." He laughed.)
Think about how many disclaimers we offer when explaining our life, our choices, our relationships, our desires, our hopes, our dreams, when talking to others.
What if we simply said
"This is what I want. This is how I want it. I'm doing it. No disclaimers needed."
I'd feel free.
When I wanted to do the stay at home mom thing... I did it. But I always felt I had to have approval from the masses. Or when I breastfed my babies. I wanted EVERYONE to breastfeed along with me. I had to convince others for many years there was only ONE WAY to believe in God. It had to look ONE WAY, that included going to church incessantly, multiple times a week, etc etc. I had to make an excuse why I didn't drink, or didn't move in with Carl, or did believe some things or didn't believe some things.... I was one big disclaimer. Trying to convince others my choices were good or right. And maybe they were....FOR ME. But not necessarily for all.
What would I do different?
Be disclaimer free.
If I am going to do it, I'm doing it. If I am not doing it, I'm NOT doing IT.
Whatever IT is....
I am not going to spend time convincing people, or offering disclaimers.
You make the choice to judge and evaluate, OR NOT.
But I am not going to offer excuses, disclaimers, or try to convince you I am right or wrong.
Done.
BUUUUTTTTT...... I LOVED 'Breakfast at the Rail"...and I will be going back very soon, but not for breakfast. hahahahaha.
Welcome to my 50th year. Free and absent of disclaimers.
I love you.
Thanks for reading.
Jewels.
No comments:
Post a Comment